Osteoarthritis occurs when cartilage (smooth tissues between bones) in weight bearing joints deteriorates, causing bones to rub against each other. Spinal osteoarthritis makes it difficult for a human body to bend and twist due to inflamed cartilage.
This condition is very common and is the most common type of arthritis. Around 27 million Americans, suffer from severe pain, stiffness, and swelling of joints because of osteoarthritis.
There are a number of osteoarthritic indications, and it is highly recommended to see a doctor if you are suffering from the following symptoms:
- Spine deformation
- Joint discomfort due to weather changes
- Joint stiffness
- Back pain
- Neck pain
- Weak hips, knees or shoulders
- CT scans
- Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) to show detailed images of the body
- Electromyography (EMG) to test the electrical activities happening in the muscles
- Joint fluid tests
- Blood tests
- Spinal Fusion – bone grafts are placed in between affected spinal vertebrae joining them together to prevent them from rubbing against each other.
- Laminectomy – the disposal of the posterior arch of a vertebra. This has to be done in order to release the pressure on the affected nerve roots or on the spinal cord that sits in the spinal canal.
Burak Ozgur, MD can address osteoarthritis with holistic and minimally invasive procedures. Request an appointment for consultation by calling (949) 383-4190 or toll free 888-64-SPINE or Contact Us ➲.